Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Science!? 20: Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Crash of the Moons (1954)

When I started my long and exhausting Mill Creek box binge, I promised myself to blog about each and every single one of the movies on them I'd watch. I can't let the special magic of Rocky Jones stop me now.

So, this is a feature cut of two or three episodes of a short-lived American TV show about the Space Ranger Rocky Jones, his side-kick Winky, his boy-side-kick Bobby, his scientist-side-kick Professor Newton, and his girl-side-kick (don't know if she is supposed to be a love interest, all I can say is that she dresses exactly like an early Legion of Super Heroes member) Vena Ray. The DVD package claims that Rocky was canceled because "the costly special effects made it unprofitable". Since most of the special effects I saw looked worse than one can expect from a serial twenty years older than Rocky, we can happily put the claim into the realm of the myth.

My own theory explains the show's early demise much more neatly and fits the known facts. I think (wait for it) Rocky Jones was canceled when it turned out nobody wanted to see something this boring.

And it must be really boring to have put a veteran of boring and bad movies like me to sleep as fast and as easily as it did. Just half an hour of the adventures of Rocky and his friends left me snoring.

I'm not planning on returning to Rocky anytime soon, so you'll have to take my snoring as a review.

 

Technorati-Tags: ,,

No comments: