Thursday, June 12, 2008

Demo Impressions: On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness

Since Steam now offers the official Penny Arcade game, too, I decided to try out the demo. I have to admit I find the comic itself not all that funny. Many strips seem to be all little complacent to be funny for me.

And the demo is actually a lot less funny. The humor feels forced, I had the terrible feeling that the game permanently tried to grab me by the lapels and scream "look how funny I am" into my face.

This alone wouldn't ruin a game with interesting mechanics and/or inventive puzzles for me, but the mechanics are an uninspired mess of everything that is bad about Japanese console RPGs (grinding, grinding, leveling without any decisions, semi-interactive dialogue, oh, and grinding) and the usual item hunt, combined with such interesting activities as bashing chests and trash cans to find healing items.

So I am glad I could play a demo instead of shelling out $20 for an exercise in self-indulgence without any new or at least entertaining ideas.

I'd recommend buying a Sam & Max episode instead. Those are often actually funny and go for half the price of this trainwreck, whose only advantage are really pretty graphics.

 

No comments: