Friday, January 9, 2009

In more words than this thing deserves: Ssuperzam El Invencible (1971)

Three midgety aliens in silver suits with helmets featuring multi-colored lights (blinking!) crashland on Earth, proceed to ray-freeze (freeze-ray?) a dog. Superzan(m) rescues a woman (we'll never see her again, so don't worry) from a gangster-induced train accident. Afterwards, the film takes some time to visit a carnival show with Superzan - yay, female singer, then yay masked singer(!?), then yay b-listers of Los Campeones Justicieros being hugged (but in a manly way, don't worry, conservative readers) by the big S, afterwards yay Los Campos (without 'zan) fighting some other dudes, then yay Superzan actually doing something in his own movie again, namely fighting some gangsters who are of no import to anything else.

After roughly half of the film has been used for filler, Superzan returns to the plot and protects the aliens from random people with guns until everyone agrees that catholicism is just dandy. The end.

 

I have a lot of time for the adventures of luchadores and I also love me some superheros, but this first solo feature of super-powered, "flying", telepathic luchador Superzan is terrible even for an Agrasanchez production. It should be rather good fun with its effects either stolen from other films (black and white - nobody'll ever notice in a color film, I'm sure) or of the typical "we don't care" Agrasanchez variety, its midgets from Outer Space and its heart-warming (yeah, I'm being sarcastic here) tale about the just plain species-uniting wonderful awesomeness of religion, but just ends up being drab, crawling along with about as much elan as the director's cut of a later phase James Cameron film. And just don't start me ranting about Superzan's "comical" side-kick Johnny, who is of course black, lazy and stupid and victim of much speechifying by the Big S (and yes, our hero talks to his "friend" in a tone I wouldn't use on a child)...

I promised in one comment thread or the other that I was going to find something good to mention about Ssuperzam El Invencible. So, let's see what I got: Oh, yes! The multicolored lights on the aliens' helmets are quite colorful.

 

5 comments:

Todd said...

I tole you.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

Yeah. You also told me to watch it.

Todd said...

D'oh!

Keith said...

I'm sure the next Superzan movie you watch will be much better.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

I can already see the ending: alien boy turns out to be Catholic, so all is well, The End.