Saturday, May 24, 2008

Grindhouse Theatrical Cut (2007)

There has already been said so much about Grindhouse that I will only add a few thoughts:

- Miramax really thought this would do well in cinemas??

- I love the incredible affection both sub-pictures (though I would argue Tarantino's half is actually two films paying homage to totally different styles, but connected by Stuntman Mike) have for their sources. Which doesn't mean they don't see the troubling tendencies and stupidity inherent in Grindhouse movies, but that they try to work with, against and on them, instead of just being smugly superior, like Scream and its ilk do.

- I honestly find the scene in which El Rey gives Cherry her machine gun leg both actually romantic and funny.

- I also wasn't aware before that Rosario Dawson and Rose McGowan can act.

- The fake trailers are a thing of beauty. My problem is that I will never be able to see Machete, quite clearly the greatest Italian action film never made. So I am all the more thankful that Robert Rodriguez' Planet Terror is the best Italian zombie movie ever made outside of Italy.

No comments: