Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cloverfield (2008)

So much has already been written about my new second favorite giant monster movie (just behind the Japanese cut of the original Gojira) that I'll just add a few thoughts.

- I was completely unprepared for how Lovecraftian the outlook of Cloverfield is. In the end, all our little heroics, our best intentions and our love just don't matter to the universe at large, and will most certainly not save us. In this sense the relative shallowness of the characterization not only does not matter, but is admirably used to heighten this effect.

- Another thing that did surprise me was the brilliant transition from the boring but necessary party scenes in the beginning to the catastrophe. Also the transition from boredom to feelings of helplessness and even panic. At least for me.

- Damn, that's a beautiful monster!

- If a movie's sound design is effective enough, it doesn't need a score. (Although the ending theme has a nice classical monster movie soundtrack feel to it.)


Darling of the Day:
"If this is the last scene you see...That means I died."

No comments: