Friday, April 30, 2021

Well-calculated and with Necronomicon included

This week in my "whatever takes my fancy" corner, have something rather special, namely a 1945 episode of the great, classic audiodrama show SUSPENSE (bold caps brought to you by DRAMA) adapting Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror".

Apart from being a Lovecraft adaptation having been made decades before the real Lovecraft renaissance, this is also an early example of what I like to call POV horror (you may go with found footage, of course), pretending to be an actual newscast, though a very peculiar one. It's not the first one of its kind, obviously, at least Welles's "War of the Worlds" did this sort of thing earlier and more straight-faced.

Add Ronald Colman (I probably should call him RC) to the mix of HPL, POV and one of the best old time radio shows, and you my kind of catnip.

If you don't already know the adaptation, why not give it a listen here:

No comments: