Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In short: Art of the Devil 3 (2008)

The third part of the insanely sadistic black magic series from Thailand is a much stronger effort than the first two parts. Its convoluted backstory makes emotional sense, if not necessarily a logical one.

Acting and plotting are far away from the teenie horror crappiness of the first two films - I'd call it a film with an honest emotional core, if the violence just wasn't so insanely disgusting.

I was astounded by its consequent ending and the total grayness of its morals - there's no innocence to be found anywhere in its characters.

Recommended for people with strong stomachs lacking moral fibre (like me).

 

Technorati-Tags: ,,

2 comments:

Todd said...

The last one left me cold (didn't see the first one), but I think I'm gonna have to check this one out. The combination of an "honest emotional core" with "insanely disgusting" violence is pretty compelling.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

I had the same non-reaction you had to the first two. This one is really a lot better, though I'm not completely sure how much of that is caused by my surprise how much less it sucked than the first two.