Thursday, July 10, 2008

In short: Spiritism (1962)

Benito Alazraki, director of one of my least favorite Santo movies, strikes again.

What starts out as hardly watchable warning against the evils of Spiritualism (which of course leads directly to Satan presenting one with Pandora's Box) ends as ineffective version of W.W.Jacobs' The Monkey's Paw.

Dullness, preachiness and a dub by K. Gordon Murray make boring what should be creepy in an old-fashioned way. At least the twenty minutes feature a crawling hand (the film's monkey's paw), but that late in the movie only a full grown zombie apocalypse could have made it a decent way to waste a part of one's life on.

 

2 comments:

Todd said...

I wish I could say that Santo contra los Zombies was one of my least favorite Santo films. Because that would mean that I hadn't seen El Aguila Real or Santo Frente a la Muerte. Ah, those were happier, more innocent times.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

So there are still great adventures lying before me...