Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nostalgia

Flash Point (2007)

is the third product of the creative pairing of Wilson Yip (direction) and Donnie Yen (Donnie Yen), following the fantastic Sha Po Lang and the idiotic Dragon Tiger Gate. I'm glad to find nothing of the latter here. What I am seeing instead is the most Hong Kong 80s movie made this century. This story of cop-on-the-edge Yen and his undercover-partner Louis Koo and their fight against three Vietnamese gangster brothers who love their mother very very much has everything that made Hong Kong's wave of action movies of the 80s so wonderful: No CGI, no jump cuts, stupid humor, high melodrama and the most exciting action sequences imaginable, presented with the relentless drive of a mad greyhound.
While I've heard the usual moaning about Yen's one-note acting, I insist on having seen at least a chord. And really: How subtle an actor do you need for this kind of role? I found his glaring and hitting people more than satisfying.

Darling of the Day:
"Don't talk about my mother!"

No comments: