Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why it is a bad idea to pay for your games

In one word: DRM.

I bought Spore today, on its release day, and I am still quite hopeful that it will be a good game, but of course the game has the need for online activation.

Which wouldn't be a problem if its activation servers were actually accessible (well, the error message tells me I have no Internet connection, but since I am on the Net right now and have even deactivated my firewall, it's obvious where the problem lies). As the Internet tells me, I am not the only one.

And you know what? If I hadn't paid a whopping €54 for the game and instead downloaded a pirated copy, I would be playing it right now.

Great job, thanks EA.

 

Technorati-Tags: ,,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There really should be a tag for "EA is still evil".

They bought Maxis while I was working there, and my loathing for them will never die.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

The evilness of EA is still a given for me.
Ironic actually, when I started playing computer games Electronic Arts was the publisher who was emphasizing the role of its designers. And didn't need to "impress" with the promise to not only make crap games anymore.

You worked for Maxis? How fascinating.