Friday, August 24, 2007

I confess

that my favorite Abel Ferrara picture is The Addiction, the one about the philosophical minded vampires who love discussing the nature of Evil (with a very capital E) and original sin even more than shooting up blood.
Ferrara's Catholicism makes this atheist writer more than a little uneasy, but I think I would like the movie far less if it would be just like me. It never made much sense to me to be only interested in art that tells me about my own life or sprouts my own thoughts back at me. Analyze this.
Anyway, I can't talk about The Addiction without mentioning Lily Taylor who probably is The Greatest Living Actress, a title she shares with Jennifer Jason Leigh. Here, she's acting in a hyper-naturalistic way, but projects a certain distance to her role at the same time.

No comments: